Thursday, January 26, 2012

The Tudor pincushion progress (or lack thereof)

and a bit of a dilemma.
Here is where I am with the pincushion. I just need to do the guilloche stitch around the lacing, and then the center bit. But I am increasingly unhappy with the amount of tarnishing on the chain stitch elements. Unfortunately, I really tied them down pretty hard on the back--it will be tough to take the gold out and re-do it. But it doesn't shine anymore and is visibly darker than the lacing.
Knowing that the lacing will also tarnish, eventually, and that it will be hard to take out the existing gold, should I or shouldn't I replace the chain stitching?
Decisions, decisions.

4 comments:

Rachel said...

I'm not conscious of mine having tarnished, so I'm a little surprised. However, if it seems likely to be tarnishing as a result of the climate you have, I wouldn't try to replace it, or you'll be doing that for ever!

ED said...

how the heck do you save it from tarnishing in the first place?? did you need to coat it first or something? You can call it "antiqued"...

DrMom said...

Yeah, I think I am going to leave it alone.

Gold is just going to tarnish no matter what--probably the amount of dust in my house is at fault, and the lacing will also reflect light more than the chain stitching anyway.

When I finish it, it's going to be framed and behind glass so it'll be protected.

ED said...

Maybe a zinc solution could help refresh it?